Sunday, October 5, 2008

Things we don't want to do, and doing them anyway.

I started back to school on Friday, September 26th. I have three more quarters until I graduate with my masters in Social Work. The first two years of my program were not easy, but not too hard either. Going back for this final nine months has been the hardest part of the whole experience. More precisely, leaving Gabriel with my sister-in-law all day long was the hardest thing I have had to do. This is not because I'm worried about the care he is getting at her house or anything like that. In fact, I think he is enjoying being at her house, because he gets a lot of attention from her three boys. I just don't want to be away from him.

The first day I left him, I called Mark and cried. He told me he understood and that it was going to be alright. I replied I knew that, but it didn't really make it any easier. The next time I had to leave him, Monday, it wasn't quite as hard. I think mainly because I was nervous about starting my internship. Tuesday, however, was even harder than either of the first two. I bawled as I got in my car and drove to my internship. I told Mark that evening, "I don't want to do this anymore". He said he wouldn't force me to finish, but he thought it was what was best for all of us. I know he is right, but again, it doesn't make it any easier.

On a happier note, he started to smile at us (on purpose) two weeks ago. It is the cutest thing in the entire world, and the most rewarding. I haven't been able to catch it on film yet, so I don't have a picture to post. He is also talking to us a ton. He is such a social baby. He loves to have someone talk to him and to talk back. He would love it if I would sit and talk to him for hours. A lot of the time I'm tempted. Some times I do. I don't ever regret it. He's getting so big! Mark is taking him for his two month check up this Friday. He will get his first immunizations. I'm a little sad and a little glad that I won't be there. I am really interested to see how much he's grown though.


These pictures were taken about three weeks apart. The one on the left was taken first. Maybe they don't look that different to you, but I see a big difference. He is really filling out, and gaining more control of his neck and arms.


We are also getting excited about Halloween. We bought him a pumkin costume, and I can't wait to take pictures. I was a pumkin for my first Halloween, so it's kind of a tradition. I know, he's only going to be three months old. But, I loved trick or treating when I was a kid. Mark was a little traumatized, which is another story, and I want Gabriel to enjoy it as much as I did. Plus, we're going with Becky and the boys, so it won't just be me carrying around a three month old. I can't wait!

5 comments:

Sara said...

I think one of the best parts about being a home owner is getting to pass out candy on Halloween. I used to not care when I lived at home but can't wait now that I own a house. Jason always gets on me because I buy way too much candy. I havn't decided if I'll dress the dogs up this year but they do have matching OSU t-shirts. I hate buying stuff for the puppy becuase she won't be able to wear it again.

Sarah Lopez said...

I had a really hard time leaving Ethan too. It's tough, but it's only a short time. He's adorable. I hope he continues to grow strong! We miss you guys!

Valarie said...

Awww, you are a good mom. At least you aren't driving off and thinking "Thank goodness I don't have to deal with him for the next (fill in the blank) hours" like a lot of other moms do. He is getting so big! I am so glad you posted a couple of new pics. Hopefully we will get to see him again in a few months.

Julie said...

You are really fortunate that you can take Gabe to Becky's house. I had a really hard time leaving Connor at first, too. It does get easier, although I would still prefer to be at home playing!

The Cochran Family said...

Awww I can't get over how amazingly beautiful he is! You are amazingly strong for doing what you are doing! I know it's hard! But nine months will pass very quickly and then he will be all yours again!